Thursday, December 10, 2009
Talk about your unexpected holiday gifts! This year I received, rather unexpectedly, a blog award.
Ines at over at All I am - a redhead has nominated me for a Kreativ Blogger award. Ines writes a great blog about perfume and books, both of which I really enjoy. Definitely worth checking out.
So, this is what I have to do:
1) Copy and paste the award and post a link to the blog that nominated me. (Checkity check.)
2) Tell seven things about myself. (See below.)
3) Nominate seven other bloggers and pass the award along. (Coming Friday!)
Seven things about me....
1. When I named my blog "Feminine Things" it was in part because I have a lot of interests that are not traditionally feminine. It is only in the last five years or so that I have developed an interest in perfume or make-up or skincare or nail polish or fashion. My primary hobbies are things like going to rock shows, playing computer games, reading sci-fi/fantasy/horror novels, college football(!!!), etc. I collect comic books. I wore combat boots to my law school graduation. I used to cut my own hair (no training) because I couldn't be bothered to spend the money I'd spend on role-playing books and CCG cards on my appearance. I'm basically a geeky 14 y.o. boy trapped in the body of a grown woman. I started this blog as an ode to my more traditionally feminine interests, which seem to be growing as I get older.
2. When I first started this blog I hadn't owned a scent that wasn't made by The Body Shop or Bath & Body Works since I was a very little girl. In fact, I had one bottle of what I considered "perfume" and it was Origins Ginger with a Twist. Two years later, I have an entire cabinet full of perfume from all kinds of sources. My husband has been surprisingly patient with me about it. So if it seems like I have kind of a newb nose -- I apologize. I'm still learning, so if you're learning to, let's do it together!
3. I *LOVE* cooking. I just graduated from law school back in May, but my alternative schooling plans if I did not get in? Culinary school. I particularly enjoy baking, and I cannot own enough cookbooks.
4. When I was growing up in the American South (and let me tell you, for those of you who haven't been there, West Texas may be southwestern, but in East Texas, where I grew up, we are a lot closer to Louisianians and Arkansans than to anyone else), I hated everything about it. I've been gone for eleven years now, and spent most of that time here in Oregon. For my non-American readers, let me assure you that the climate, culture, pastimes, and politics of the Pacific Northwest where I now live are VERY different from my Texas roots. Consequently, I frequently feel like a fish outta water up here. This has bred in me an intense love and nostalgia for the food, the culture, and even the music of the American South, which I suspect would dissipate immediately if I were ever forced to move back there.
5. Though I have never owned a dog as an adult, and I actually own four cats, I really like dogs. That is, I really like LARGE dogs. Having been bit by a small, yippee dog as a child, I have no love for the pursed sized dog, but I had several large dogs as a child and hope that someday, when I have a house with a yard, I can have a nice big dog again. Until then, our apartment is just way too small.
6. I have no fear of going out into the world alone. I go to fancy restaurants to dine alone. I go to movies alone. I go to concerts alone. A lot of my friends find this strange, but I don't seem to notice it, really.
7. I really love to karaoke. I hardly ever get to do it.